Originally built in 1893 for the superintendent of the observatory, it later became the official residence of the Chief of the Naval Observatory in 1928 and because of this it is sometimes still referred to as the "Admiral's House".
The 9150 square foot, three story home consists of:
- Ground floor -- a reception hall, living room, sitting room, sun porch, dining room and small pantry
- Second floor -- two bedrooms, a study, and a den.
- Third floor -- the attic which was originally servants' quarters and storage space.
- Basement -- kitchen, laundry room and other storage rooms
The home has undergone many changes throughout the years. It was originally a terracotta brick colored Victorian with warm putty gray wood trim, window frames and mullions. The wooden porch was painted in a combination of the same putty gray color and white while the shutters were painted a contrasting olive green.
The home in 1895.
Historically when Victorian style architecture began to fall out of fashion, many attempts to update the homes were made by trying to simplify them with white paint both inside and out. Many homes of this period had their beautiful wood millwork painted white to lighten them up. In 1961, the exterior of the house was painted white and remains white to this day while each vice presidential family has put their own stamp on the interior decorations.
No comments:
Post a Comment